Saturday, August 22, 2009

Rear Reflectors

It's funny guys ... as kids, we used to remove the reflectors from our brand new bicycles because they looked dorky. Now, I find myself putting back the reflectors on my car because they look retro cool! So anyways, round rear reflectors were MIA from my Volvo. I didn't even realize that any were supposed to be there (they're an accessory) until I saw some photos on the web of 1800s with them ... and of course I had to have them! The parts were sourced from Mike Dudek at iRoll Motors Inc - 2 mounting brackets (used), and 2 brand new round reflectors. Now, when I say "used", I'm using the term loosely, because what arrived were a pair of rusted scrap metal that used to be mounting brackets. So it's out with the rotary tool to see some sparks flying. I was actually itching for an excuse to fire up the rotary tool anyway!

Several sanding and grinding bits later and the mounting brackets were ready for a couple of coats of POR-15 rust-preventive paint. Highly recommended among the restoration community ... coat your car in enough of this stuff and it'll float in the open sea without rusting! Rubber gloves and proper ventilation is in order here when applying this stuff because side-effects of inhalation may cause all 4 kinds of mental retardation, anal leakage, speech impairment, you know ... all the greatest hits.

Here are the before-and-after photos of the reflector install. What do you think? Retro or not?

2 comments:

Inspktor said...

I want to see pictures of you hurting yourself.

BFA876 said...

I need a garage..... beats working under the Malaysian sun.