Saturday, April 17, 2010

Auto Detailing Clay

Auto Detailing Clay

Okay ... I know this stuff isn't new to the veterans out there, but to a newbie like me, it's new religion ... auto detailing clay! I recently learned that if there's not enough things to do in a day and you'd like to add another step between washing the car and before polishing and waxing the car - there's always removing paint contamination with a clay kit! The yellow paint on my Volvo is riddled with tiny black spots (road tar me thinks), tree sap, and other contaminants that can't be washed off. It looks flawless from 5 or even 3 feet away, but any closer and you'll notice the black specks - hundreds of them. Polishing and waxing the car at this point would only seal the contaminants in. Enter, the clay kit. This stuff really works! Used with a lubricating fluid like Meguiar's Quick Detailer, rubbing the clay back and forth on the vehicle's surface will remove contaminants and leave the painted surface smooth for wax to better adhere to.

The kit that I got is called Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. The kit came with 2 clay bars, a spray bottle of Meguiar's Quick Detailer (for lubricant), a microfiber towel, and a bonus sample bottle of cleaner wax. Griot's also sells the stuff. Boy, I tell you what ... talk about killing a whole day! As miraculous as this stuff is, it takes forever to get it done. I spent an entire weekend working clay back-and-forth over a 1 foot section at a time, and I'm still nowhere near done ... and then there's the polishing and waxing that's to follow! Come to think of it, if you're reading this and this is new to you too, you might want to forget about ever reading this - it's too late for me, but you should run for the hills boy ... save yourself ... save your marriage!

No comments: